Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think damage depends on how the hair is handled. If the hair is retwisted super tight, then breakage would be an issue. In some videos that I've seen, the locs are twisted extremely tight as if the loctician is punishing them for being bad. Regardless of the maintenance schedule or method one chooses, handle the hair with love.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YES, only retwist at most every 4-6 weeks, make sure the hair is damp and always careful with the tension to avoid traction alopecia.
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 02-18-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the tightness is the main issue. Twisting, palm rolling, latching, what ever the technique- doing something that puts strain on your hair will have a negative effect.

Most often people see the warning signs but ignore them. Often people will allow the health of their hair to suffer for the sake of style and appearance.
    Let the negativity go and the good styles flow. Enjoy your hair and rock that fro!})

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, looks like he was twisting too tight and too often. Plus he's a man, so even if his hair is strong enough for all that maintenance it might just be male pattern baldness kicking in. There are too many people that retwist/interlock without balding/thinning issues for him to claim maintenance leads to disaster for EVERYONE.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ i second that. i even wrote a comment on the page about that.
    and thank you ladies for commenting on the yt page, peple need to hear the right thing
    Last edited by Vavoon; 02-19-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disclaimer, i am now a freeformer.

My first/last set was almost 12 years old that were started with regular twisting and yes i did lose locks at the root as well as from the middle and ends of the lock as my locks aged and got longer. I cant for sure say that twisting is what caused those losses, cause i did NOT twist very often even from the beginning.

But i think that some people DO twist WAY too much and need to give their scalp that rest. I think as people with natural hair and more specifically locks go on in their journeys, we'll hear more and more about these issues of vanishing hairlines, broken off locks and thinning roots due to twist happy lockers, imo.
    First set of locks: Sept. 14, 1999 - April 22, 2011
    Current set of locks: newly under way

Thank you Pank fairy for Panking me!!! Blessings to you! XOXOXO

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dovechild20 View Post
    Disclaimer, i am now a freeformer.

But i think that some people DO twist WAY too much and need to give their scalp that rest. I think as people with natural hair and more specifically locks go on in their journeys, we'll hear more and more about these issues of vanishing hairlines, broken off locks and thinning roots due to twist happy lockers, imo.
    I agree with Dovechild20. I just don't have the experience to back it up, like she does.

Disclaimer, also a freeformer. As I was researching my now 4 month old "locs" I read (and saw a plethora of youtube vids) about thinning locs, disappearing hairlines, and breakage from mature lockers. It's one of the primary reasons I decided to avoid a more traditional maintenance method of twisting or latching.

Alternatively, I've yet to read from or watch a single freeformer who regretted freeforming and felt it somehow damaged their hair long term.
    Last edited by cheeky; 02-25-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I've seen a coupla freeformers with breaking hairlnes (wearing tight hats and hair ties). Also, by adding loose hairs to one of my locs during maintenance, I've created a stronger base.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vavoon View Post
    Hmm, I've seen a coupla freeformers with breaking hairlnes (wearing tight hats and hair ties). Also, by adding loose hairs to one of my locs during maintenance, I've created a stronger base.
    That's nothing to do with freeforming...or latching or any maintenance method. That's to do with styling.

Thanks to this forum and youtube I've learned that repetitive, tight, or excessive styling can also weaken or break locs and stress the hairline. Just like excessive/improper dying & bleaching.

I've just yet to come across any freeformers who implicate their maintenance method as a culprit for unhealthy locs. I think it's *my* best chance for strong, healthy locs. I'm glad there are so many options and so much information to go along with it.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, i meant to say that some freeformers deal with the same breakage that any other loc'er has when it comes to breakage as a result of tight hats and night scarves, but you're right, thats not a result of freeforming but a result of improper maintenance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast