Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I have gunk in my hair! :(

Ok so my babies are about to turn 1 next month on the 4th. When I washed my hair in November, I noticed this white/ grayish gooey stuff in my locs. It was the part that was right before my unlocked roots! Idk how to get rid of it! I use Cantu Shea butter shampoo and Jamaican Mango and Lime Tingle shampoo (I thought this would work since it says it removes build-up) but neither of those worked. I don't want dirty locs, I've been trying to prevent this . I use Jamaican mango and lime twist gel, if that matters. I hear people talk about doing and ACV rinse, but I'm kinda iffy about putting random stuff in my hair. What can I do? Thanks in advance!

2. Likes uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An ACV rinse is not random thing, it's one way to remove build up in your hair, it's effectiveness will depend on what products you normally use in your hair. I'll make the same suggestion every time a situation like yours comes up and that is to simply use a clarifying shampoo, it will work on just about anything you may have in your hair, you can water it down if you want to make it less harsh. It is the simplest way to get rid of your build up.

I'm guessing you use a gentle, non SLS shampoo, for your regular wash? Then after a while you will get build up if you also put other products in your hair. To prevent a similar situation, you can either do an ACV rinse or again a clarifying shampoo once in a while.

It would also help if you told us what product do you use in your hair to see if we can find the culprit.
    Last edited by Karibana; 01-12-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

4. Thanks dria_unique thanked for this post
    Likes DeBe, coalblacklocs, uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO the Jamaican Lime and Mango twist gel is the culprit. Do what Kari said and use a clarifying shampoo and ACV. Your locks are new so they might come undone if you have to really scrub, but it is important to get the goo out now and have a routine of clarifying so you can keep it at bay. Especially if you use heavy products like JLM.

6. Thanks Desdesdes, KnottyAuthor, dria_unique thanked for this post
    Likes Claire76, KnottyAuthor, DeBe, uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much gel and oil with attract dirt and debris to your locks. Reduce the amount of product you use and look for water based products.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I probably have been using the Jamaican Mango and Lime gel a bit much. I just learne how to re-twist my own hair lol so I guess I'll get better at not using too much.

@Karibana, I listed the products I use. Thanks for your info..... What would be a good clarifying shampoo to use?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I missed the twist gel. IA with Lockolatte, that is probably the culprit. As for clarifying shampoo, like any other product there's no one answer because it all depends. I currently have a generic drugstore brand gathering dust in a cabinet, I used to use Pantene's Ice Shine others would have a different answer. It doesn't need to be fancy since it's not for your regular wash.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

10. Likes uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    An ACV rinse is not random thing, it's one way to remove build up in your hair, it's effectiveness will depend on what products you normally use in your hair.
    In addition to what Kari and others have said, think about what your shampoo is like. I know others may have had success with the shampoos that you mentioned. But I am absolutely terrified of using products on my hair unless they are transparent.

And you don't need to use (heavy) products to retwist your hair. This is my fourth month, and I've gotten by using nothing but clips to hold my hair while it dries.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

12. Thanks dria_unique thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor, Sole_Rebel liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lockolatte is quite right. I had the exact same situation after using Jamaican Mango and Lime retwisting products. A good ACV rinse should help.

14. Thanks dria_unique thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok cool! Guess I gotta face the music! Thank you guys so much for your help! My next wash I will try a clarifying shampoo, then if that doesn't work I'll do the ACV!

16. Likes uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So sorry you are experiencing this.

It definitely will benefit you to soak your locks at least 1x/month for 30 minutes with diluted clarifying shampoo or your choice of de-gunker, THEN wash regularly.

I agree with the PPs...J/L has a mineral oil/petroleum component in it. It's known to do what it's doing to you over time. I know, i know, it's for locks....unfortunately profit share and bottom line often have nothing to do with what's best for us.

The shampoo suggested is a good one! Another good one is Paul Mitchell's 'THREE'..it can rid pollutants and debris from hair. Since your locks are still forming there's probably hope for you. Some have also successfully used dish liq. detergent like Dawn. ACV is great to use after you clarify, to help further lift deposits left behind. Sls/sles found in these products are both extremely drying and can leave behind it's own issues, but the key right now is to dilute, get those locks clean and moisturize with some aloe vera juice, or something light like that because your locks will get parched during this process.

When I was dealing with my issues, QD helped alot with this video. Hope it helps!

Keep us posted!
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 01-13-2013 at 01:54 AM.

18. Thanks dria_unique, Nikib4eva thanked for this post
    Likes Sole_Rebel liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast