Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed...the WNG is not a hairstyle that only people with curl patterns can do. It's a technique that anybody can do depending on their comfort level with the aftermath: not just the look of it, but the breakdown later when it's time to wash again.

Having spent the better part of the last two years learning how to handle longer mostly-4b hair in a WNG "state," I've learned that dealing with tangles and knots (which is the OTHER main concern surrounding doing WNGs on tighter textures, from what I can tell) doesn't have to be super-complicated if you have the right products (for me it's generous use of AVJ along with a creamy conditioner) and technique (finger-detangling with the AVJ/conditioner combo is a MUST if I don't want to lose hair; also only touching my hair with my palms and the flats of my connected fingers when it's dry).

Again speaking just for me: It helps to have perspective. I just got out of having two monster finger-detangling sessions involving taking down mini-twists. They were "monster" for me because since my last BC I've lost my tolerance for spending hours on my hair at a single sitting. However, three years prior to that last BC, I was trying to pick out 3.5-year-old LOCS. Comparatively speaking, the tangles I deal with when my hair is in a WNG "state" are very minor.

For what it's worth, this woman is doing a WNG challenge on her mostly-4c hair. She talks about defining her curls but she also acknowledges that she doesn't have much to define and that for her the main purpose is to get away from twists and learn how to wear her hair loose in a way that's still healthy.

Last edited by LBellatrix; 06-23-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ LBellatrix: Thank you for this video.
    I think she has a GREAT Afro

Over the past few weeks, I've been surfing YouTube as part of my decision to experimenting with inexpensive, old standbys/tried-and-true products for my hair maintenance.
    Bought Suave Conditioner on advice of one YouTube girl's [MahoganyCurls'] tutorial - and it works wonderfully!
    I'm thinking of trying Sta-Sof-Fro. I remember the ditty from the Soul Train ads - "In condition in an instant!"

I believe it would work well for these particular [K & M] YouTubers' Afros.
    That of course, combined with satin cap, sheets, pillowcases + sectioning it off into twists at night
    Last edited by Bithiya; 06-23-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: To name the YouTube girl.