Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post two questions

Two Questions

1)Since fall is coming up I'm looking for a homemade loc product to retwist my hair. Right now I'm using Honey and olive oil to retwist my hair. I use very tiny just dip the tip of my finger into both the olive oil & honey. I'm starting to realize that it flakes in my hair so I want something with the same results minus the flakes. For some reason honey & olive oil is the only mixture that gives me really great hold & shine.

2)is there any way I can clarify my hair with Dr.bronners shampoo without tangling up my roots

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what to suggest for #1. Eyeballing to check out the answers you'll get that one, so I can't try that too.

#2 confuses me. What do you mean "won't tangle the roots"? Tangled roots are good. Locs are nothing more than tangled sections of hair. Some are more manicured and neater than others, but in general, anything that encourages tangles are a good thing. Some people even do things like rinse their hair in water with salt added to it to encouraged it to tangle, or, loc faster. I guess I need more info for that question.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant like I hate having to "plop" or "pop" my roots at this stage of my hair. I'm 2 years into my locs and every time I wash them with that shampoo. I always have to separate them so they wont marry and its getting real frustrating. Because I thought after a few years this would become unnecessary .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Seems like you need a more moisturising shampoo. I am almost two years in and find my hair likes it better when I am not stripping all the oils out of it. Black soap is working for me so far.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, browncoco.

I answered the second question for you in your Tangled Roots post in the Help Me With My Locs sub forum.

If you want to continue using Dr. Bronner's try mixing some one 'n only argan oil in with the shampoo. For whatever reason, that oil in whatever shampoo I was using would keep my roots from grabbing together.

You may be able to use any oil, however. You'd need to experiment. Or, you could just switch shampoos altogether.

The few times I used Dr. Bronners, I found it very drying and it left a grayish tint to my hair. It cleaned my tub fantastically, though.

Oh, and I don't think there is a certain stage one gets to before they don't have to pop their roots anymore. Maybe you just have hair that marries easily. I've had three sets of locs, and all sets I've had to pop roots the whole time, and more so after a wash. But that one 'n only argan oil mixed in with my shampoo, man, it just kept everything separated! Good thing I didn't use it while I was early on in the process. Stuff would have just unraveled, lol.
    Last edited by dayna; 07-29-2013 at 10:09 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh. Regarding something that gives hold and shine without flakes, I've heard good things about flaxseed gel. There are many YT videos showing how to make it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I see, that's part of life for me, I have to use certain shampoos for dandruff that tend to be a bit harsher than average.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you think I should switch to black soap? Cause honestly Dr.Bronner is really expensive and most of the time i use it on my skin. I also have a moisturizing shampoo by sheamoisture . But I feel like it just sits on my hair and does nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by creativity View Post
    ^Seems like you need a more moisturising shampoo. I am almost two years in and find my hair likes it better when I am not stripping all the oils out of it. Black soap is working for me so far.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have hair that tangles easily so I have to separate not just after washing but pretty much everyday. I spritz my hair with water and then go through my whole head to check for any meshing and I gently pull apart those loose hairs that are getting tangled with another loc. It only takes a few minutes to do and by the time I wash, i don't have any large snarls that take forever to pop. I'm only 6 months in but I expect this to be par for the course as this is the nature of my hair. I'm curious about adding oil to shampoo--going to try that and see what happens.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) My stylist uses this nice, secret mix of shea butter with jojoba oil and lavender oil for her loc clients. I'm not sure of the other ingredients but this is what the main components are so I hope that can help point you in the right direction. Never leaves major buildup, very moisturizing,no flaking, smells heavenly, and makes my locs feel like butter......................
    Love, Peace, HairGrease, and Double Kisses