Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
Girl, I'm feeling it more and more. Nappturality is an enigma. I think we created something here that will never be duplicated. Maybe it was the time, the place society was at that point, but we really came together and talked about EVERYTHING. We took the time to write thoughtful posts, not 200 characters. We didn't scroll through at 100mph, we actually read what others had to say. I really miss that.

Social Media helped connect people and can be fun but in essence it has ruined the world in a lot more ways. We have lost substantive online conversations and community as Black women we really lost. Not just NP but other sites as well. They're all gone, taken over, turned to online selling places.

I am going to launch a donation drive soon, so I can archive everything and put the conversations into a searchable repository. I can't have all this knowledge just disappear like everything else we do. And I won't be here in 60 years to keep it real.
I appreciate social media for all that it has done and all that it is able to do. That said, I do think there's a lot to be said for the longer posts that allow us to share our thoughts with nuance and consideration of the "other" viewpoint. Whatever people have had to say about NP being too militant doesn't negate the impact that it had on the black community, in my opinion. This forum was a cornerstone of the natural hair movement and I'm glad to have been a part of that.