Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I don't know what to do with my hair!! It seems like its breaking off quite a lot, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong... :violin
    I had it in braids (with extensions) over the summer, and would have put them back in if not for a thinning around my hairline that I started to notice. The past couple of months I've been wearing it out - mostly in twists. It doesn't seem to be doing my hair any good though. I moisturize regularly with shea butter etc, and still it breaks. Not shedding i.e. with roots still attached, but breakage, leaving nasty split ends in my hair. HOW DO I STOP THIS? Especially around my hairline? :-? Someone has probably already made posts like this, but I can't seem to use the search function. If you have any suggestions, pls let me know! Thanks.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well are you 100% napptural or are you still in the trans phase?

what do you use on your hair?

what is your routine?

what products do you use?

what tools do you use?

when was the last time you trimmed your ends? if you have split ends you need to :cen them off before they damage the whole shaft of your hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the search function is working.. I have to try myself..

Anyway, you have to look at the products your using... Are they drying out your hair? Are you willing to cut off some of the split ends? Do you always use a wide tooth comb and detangle when wet? When is the last time you deep conditioned? Do you use shampoo with chemicals?

There's much info on this site, but you still have to look at what you are doing... Natural hair requires patience and sometimes trial and error..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you using protective styles sometimes. You hair may need a rest. Are you wearing it back in an afro puff alot?? That will put a lot of stress on the hair on your hair line and cause breakage. Another thing may be your physical health. Are you stressed alot?? Are you drinking enough water, very important!! Are you taking your vitamins??

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the braids are tight, that may be the cause for the breakage around your hairline.

If you are still transitioning, how long have you been doing so? If you still have relaxed ends, it may be time to say goodbye. :cen

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I'm not still transitioning.. I BC'd more than two years ago. My last trim was at the beginning of July, but I didn't have that much taken off. Maybe I need to go for another one... As for my routine, I wash once a week (no poo) with pantene R&N. I find anymore than this really dries it out. I air dry with shea butter and/or this brazil nut oil/shea/cocoa butter cream I found, and a leave in conditioner sometimes. The first couple of days I usually wear it in a puff after banding, and then I have it twisted for the rest of the week. The puff could explain the weakening hairline i guess. Sometimes I don't keep the twists in too long though because they unravel and look generally quite messy. I need to learn how to deal with a little frizz, and not revert to a puff or retwist my whole head :rolling . Are there any other protective styles I should be doing? Thanks for your help. :heart

p.s yes, I do use a wide toothed comb but lately I've been trying not to use it at all. Sometimes I can just pull the end of a twist, and the hair just comes out :shock So, I've been trying to be careful...

Is there a particular vitamin supplement I should be taking d'you think?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I can just pull the end of a twist, and the hair just comes out
    I can relate to this. I had the same problem and I realized my hair was damaged. Trust me I was almost crying at the fact my hair was coming out so easily after every wash. The only way to get rid of this breakage and damage at the ends is to :cen You may need to cut a little or a lot, depending on how far up the split ends have gone. A good way to measure is when your hair is twisted you can pretty much tell how much of it is damaged and you should just cut that much. Even when my hair was short and I did a major cuttin, it still looked good, but the cut was noticeable and so was how healthy it was afterwards. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little length for healthy hair. Remember "better to be short and healthy than long and unhealthy". And your hair may not even be that short, even after the cut.
    No conditioner is going to fix split ends once they are bad, but after you :cen you can prevent them. Now I deep condition once a week after I shampoo wash to get rid of build up. Then I twists for a couple of days and twistout for a couple of days. I only wear a puff for a few days at a time (scared of too much manipulation) Also be sure not to wash too much either. Oh, and I found that direct oil is too drying for my hair so I mix 1 part oil to like 3 parts water. Does wonders now!!! Just love your hair and be gentle. :thumbsup

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Onyema@Sep 29 2004, 09:32 PM
    No, I'm not still transitioning.. I BC'd more than two years ago. My last trim was at the beginning of July, but I didn't have that much taken off. Maybe I need to go for another one... As for my routine, I wash once a week (no poo) with pantene R&N. I find anymore than this really dries it out. I air dry with shea butter and/or this brazil nut oil/shea/cocoa butter cream I found, and a leave in conditioner sometimes. The first couple of days I usually wear it in a puff after banding, and then I have it twisted for the rest of the week. The puff could explain the weakening hairline i guess. Sometimes I don't keep the twists in too long though because they unravel and look generally quite messy. I need to learn how to deal with a little frizz, and not revert to a puff or retwist my whole head :rolling . Are there any other protective styles I should be doing? Thanks for your help. :heart

p.s yes, I do use a wide toothed comb but lately I've been trying not to use it at all. Sometimes I can just pull the end of a twist, and the hair just comes out :shock So, I've been trying to be careful...

Is there a particular vitamin supplement I shouldbtaking d'you think?
    Black hair has one thing in common-it break easily compared to straight hair.Allways use a wide-toothed comb when grooming your hair.And forget about being admonished for being tender-headed as a child.Treat your hair gentle; dont yank or pull diet plays a major part in the health of your hair.Eat lots of fruits & veg and drink plenty :coffee water to keep the hair from becoming dehydrated

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could try a protein treatment like Aphogee. Braiding might have weakened the strands, especially if synthetic hair was used. Protein is not a permanent fix, but may help if you are not yet ready to let go of a lot of length.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree it could be the Pantene due to the 'cone in it. Not everyone's hair can handle them and Pantene tends to use a bunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast