Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I need some tips on nursing my 2 1/2 month old in public. I am visiting relatives soon, the house is small I might not always have a room to sit down and nurse in. I also know there will be many dinners/lunches out. I feel so nervous out in public, besides having EMB available all the time, what are my options. My son hates when I try to cover with a blanket, and usually starts screaming until it's removed. Has anyone been sucsessful with a sling, or certain nursing tops? Any suggestions you can give ladies, would be greatly appreciated.
    [url="http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/561493/5_quick_tips_to_quickly_detangle_natural.html"]http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...le_natural.html[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're at the house w/relatives, you can sit in a corner or off to the side away from everyone else- close enough to be included in the conversation but far enough away to have some privacy. You can also sit w/your back to others. Any other time, this may seem strange but at a time like this your family will know why you're positioned this way (and for those uncomfortable w/breastfeeding, they'll appreciate not being "exposed" to the feeding experience).

When out in public, I resorted to a nursing top and a cover-up blanket. The older my son got, the less he cooperated w/the blanket. At those times, I would have to take us out to the car and handle business there- this was done so much that I lost count. Then again, so were the times when I had to pull over from driving into a parking lot and feed him. Talk about sacrifices made...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kreative has some great tips!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Kreative@Oct 11 2004, 01:30 AM
    If you're at the house w/relatives, you can sit in a corner or off to the side away from everyone else- close enough to be included in the conversation but far enough away to have some privacy. You can also sit w/your back to others. Any other time, this may seem strange but at a time like this your family will know why you're positioned this way (and for those uncomfortable w/breastfeeding, they'll appreciate not being "exposed" to the feeding experience).

When out in public, I resorted to a nursing top and a cover-up blanket. The older my son got, the less he cooperated w/the blanket. At those times, I would have to take us out to the car and handle business there- this was done so much that I lost count. Then again, so were the times when I had to pull over from driving into a parking lot and feed him. Talk about sacrifices made...
    Good points! You could try a cloth that is not heavy, that lets in some light...And ofcourse the right clothes for breasfeeding...I found out that shirts/blouses/tops that can be pulled up from under show much less skin, than the tops/shirts that have to be unbuttoned...
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    LocĀ“d Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my husband was more uneased about me nursing in the midst of family than i was.

why don't you buy a few nursing tops (shirts that allow you to pull your breasts out of holes that are camoflouged between pleats)? that way, you will be able to nurse your baby in a room full of people and not show a bit of flesh!

my mother bought me a couple of those and a short pajama set that allowed me to do that without lifting my shirt and have it fall in baby's face.

sometimes i think we draw more attention to what we are doing when we are nervous about it. i often nursed my baby in the room with friends and family and they had no idea because it just looked like i was cradling the baby.

look into nursing shirts and plan to wear them when you know you'll be in an environment where you may not have the privacy that you'll want.

also, have you considered calling your relatives ahead of time and explaining your concerns? maybe you can bring a scarf or baby sign and put it on a bedroom door to alert relatives to what's going on before they barge in. family should be cool about you wanting privacy and accommodate you.

good luck.

:heart
    I felt so bad, but so deliciously satisfied. --gigglezk

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes. -- unknown

I asked, "What is Kemi Oyl?" and she replied, "Kemi Oyl." Then I asked, "What is a Kemi?" She read the bottle, then said she didn't know. "Maybe a plant."
    --Drizzle

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks ladies :heart I am going to try the nursing tops, and a lighter weight blanket. My little town that I live in does not have a maternity shop, so I hadn't even thought to drive to the next town where the mall is :doh , thanks again, sometimes I feel like i'm all alone out here w/breastfeeding I appreciate the feedback, I will try all the suggestions.
    [url="http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/561493/5_quick_tips_to_quickly_detangle_natural.html"]http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...le_natural.html[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not particularly discreet about breast feeding, but then I'm pretty militant. I'm particularly open with family, but I can understand the concerns of the more modest. I read a post on another board whereas she recommended wearing a tank top under a loose-fitting t-shirt. Apparently she pulls the t-shirt up and the tank top down. That way her belly is covered by the tank, and her chest is covered by the t-shirt. That might work for you.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My saving grace while nursing my daughter was the Lansinoh Privacy Drape! It's VERY lightweight...and it has a weighted pillow on the back to keep the baby from being able to yank it off. But honestly, since it was so lightweight and roomy, my daughter never pulled at it.

Also, it's very dainty and feminine. I felt like a real lady while using it.

Check it out!

http://store.yahoo.com/naturalbaby/905501.html

Hope this helps!