Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the BC on September 4 without transitioning. Needless to say my hair is really short (about 1.5 inches stretched). Up until about a week ago, my hair was really easy to comb and I had very little hair in comb and brush that I use every morning. Now all of a sudden my hair is starting to break. I'm wondering what can be causing this. I no poo once a week and mist with water, glycerin, conditioner and then apply mango butter to my hair everyday before combing. It is well moisturized and I only comb when my hair is damp from the above mentioned routine. Can anyone tell me if hair breakage is normal or if it's because i'm doing something wrong? Because my hair is so short, I feel that I have to comb it everday in order to achieve my neat fro. I don't have enough length to shake and go or finger comb for that matter. It's not the amount of hair in the comb that's bothering me, it's the way the hair looks. It seems that it's breaking, not shedding. For instance, I have little curled up naps in comb and sink when i'm finished. Not a whole lot, but enough. Help! :doh

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sure its not shedding? Do you see a white root at one end of the hair shaft. I think we normally shed 50 strands of hair a day. Don't quote me on that but I think thats correct. Maybe you are see them all at once in the morning as opposed to them shedding through the day when you don't notice it? It sounds like you are doing every thing correctly.
    [color=purple]BCed - Jan 11 2005[/color]
    My album: [b][url="http://public.fotki.com/wshful/after_the_big_chop/"]Chop[/url][/b]

pw:nappy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no i'm not seeing any white parts on the ends of the strands, it's just the hair. maybe you are right wshful -- it may be shedding. Do you think that the longer your hair gets the more it sheds? I'm just wondering because It wasn't doing this a few weeks ago. It has been 2 months since the bc so maybe I also have a little growth and that's why i'm seeing the shedding.

Thanks for your reply!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might be manipulating your hair too much. If you're combing it everyday, you can add unnecessary stress to your hair that will cause it to break. Instead of combing your fro out everyday, try combing with your fingers instead. Also, don't be scared of the chunky/free-form fro! You might save your hair some hassle :thumbsup
    http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ka7/cake-1.jpg

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." ~Mohandas Gandhi~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems that when you go natural that you notice the hair shedding more.....i would not worry about it unless you see your hair thinning or if it's coming out in huge balls ....

I threw away a whole tub of conditioner becasue i thought it was causing my hair to fall out, but it appears to be a normal thing....my hair strands are stronger and darker now so i see the hair more easily.

vinny_46 Guest

Originally posted by AfrikaIzin_My_Hair@Nov 12 2004, 09:16 AM
    You might be manipulating your hair too much. If you're combing it everyday, you can add unnecessary stress to your hair that will cause it to break. Instead of combing your fro out everyday, try combing with your fingers instead. Also, don't be scared of the chunky/free-form fro! You might save your hair some hassle :thumbsup
    I gotta agree with that. :app

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are not on any type of medication, or experiencing any extra stress that would make your hair break off I would suggest trying something to nourish your scalp along with your hair. Supplementing your diet with vitamins may also help. I am a naptural newbie (BC in September) and although I no poo (CO wash) several times a week I try to keep my scalp and hair quenched. My scalp is dry therefore my hair is dry.

I have read that jojoba oil is good for your scalp and does not clog your pores. I have not tried this, but I have used Natures Gate jojoba conditioner. Try to research jojoba oil and see what you can find :-P . You may also want to search Nappturality for the benefits of other natural products like honey and aloe vera. I did not transition before the BC either, and I can say that I had more shedding with the perm than I have since the cut :app.

I agree with Glanza_Gurl if it's not coming out in plugs it should be fine. Don't worry about it I'm sure it's only temporary.

What are you no pooing with and what type of conditioner are you using?

Sorry for the long post :blah.

E
    Password: napps

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Enshav@Nov 12 2004, 12:17 PM
    What are you no pooing with and what type of conditioner are you using?

Since i'd heard so much about DDTA that's what i've been using since I began no-pooing. I don't have anything to compare it to so I guess it's doing a good job on my hair. However, when I finish this bottle, i'm going to try Suave Awapuhi to see how that works in comparison with DDTA. I will also try jojoba oil as well. I haven't tried alot of different products in my hair because I didn't want to begin using everything that had good reviews. Now since my hair is starting to do something it hadn't been doing I believe I will try something new.

Thanks for all of you guys help and suggestions. I will definitely keep what you all said in mind.