Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name
    Address
    Phone Number
    Email Address

OBJECTIVE: To obtain a challenging position that will allow growth and a chance to utilize my attributes and contribute to my education and job experience.

EDUCATION: University of Phoenix Houston, Texas
    Major: MBA with a concentration in Health Class of 2006

Dillard University New Orleans, La.
    Bachelor of Science Class of 2001
    Major: Public Health/Community Health Education

EXPERIENCE: 2003 Department of Health and Hospitals Baton Rouge, La.
    Sanitarian I (Health Inspector)
    •Reviewed permit applications for individual sewer disposal systems,
    retail food establishments, daycare and institutions.
    •Conducted investigations to determine compliance with State and
    Federal Laws.
    •Conducted routine inspections of permitted establishments and
    Sewage systems.
    •Participated and/or assisted in enforcement actions.
    •Investigated complaints from public regarding unsanitary conditions.

2000-2001 Our Lady of The Lake Pharmacy Baton Rouge, La.
    Patient Billing Clerk
    •Responsible for clerical tasks, data entry and handling of monetary transactions which included daily interaction with customers.
    •Completed prescription filling and stocking of medication.

2000 WIC Clinics New Orleans, La.
    Public Health Advocate
    •Researched for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems.
    •Developed policies and plans that supported individual and community efforts.
    •Responsible for clerical task, data entry which included daily interaction with patients.

1999-2000 Wal-Mart Pharmacy Baton Rouge, La.
    Pharmacy Cashier
    •Responsible for clerical tasks, data entry and handling of monetary transactions which included daily interaction with customers.
    •Completed prescription filling and stocking of medication.

1999-2000 Touro Infirmary New Orleans, La.
    Public Health Educator
    •Completed clerical tasks and data entry.
    •Informed, educated and empowered people about health issues.
    •Linked people to needed personal health services and assured the provision of heath care when otherwise unavailable.
    •Evaluated effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services.

SKILLS: Health Educator, Health Inspector, Public Health Advocate, Excel, Access, Power Point, Word, Outlook, Windows 95/98, Windows XP, 55-60 GWPM.

REFERENCES: Available upon request.
    Natural Hair is beautiful no matter the texture!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kutemommie,

My comments.

1) Objective: Be specific about the kind of job you're seeking and if applicable - the kind of organization you're looking to work for. You will probably change or tweak this as you apply for different jobs. Reasoning: Recruiters and/or other resume reviewers aren't going to analyze your resume to figure out what you want. And some hiring managers like it when they see that you're looking for a position just like the one they're looking to fill (even when all you did was copy your objective from their job description).

2) Move your skills to the top. Again for the benefit of recruiters so they can see your skills up front and this can also serve as a teaser to keep them reading.

3) Be prepared to tweak/rewrite your resume as needed to emphasize applicable aspects of your experience as you apply for different jobs.

That's my :2cents: Other than that it looks good. So what kind of job are you looking for?

Best of luck.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Lokii!! I will change my objective and move my skills to the top.

I am looking for a job in the Public Health Field.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are my suggestions:

FOr your jobs, list your accomplishements.

For example, mine looks like this. it has a one line summary and the rest is a list of accomplishments

Information Protection Analyst III
    User administration and access rights maintenance on the following platforms: UNIX (Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, and Linux), Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, Novell and VMS/VAX

–Streamlined UNIX security audits, cutting time necessary to perform audit functions in half

–Research and implemented an alternative format for UNIX access rights to ensure compatibility of enterprise-wide administration tool

–Developed reports and information gathering for security awareness training using MS Access

–Upgraded remote access’ Microsoft Access database to include new requirements

–Successful coordination with project team for the largest technology project in the history of the company

–Created procedure documentation

If you have a good GPA. list it

Use bullet points for your skills. It is easier for the recruiter to find what they are looking for.

List volunter experience, activities, group memeberships

bijoks is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what they said . You need a more defined job objective. What area of the public health sector do you want to get into? Also check job websites( like monster) and paper ads for the kind of work you'd like so you can identify the top skills potential employers are looking for. You can then tailor your resume to reflect those skills. In listing your work experience, list your accomplishments (rather than description of your job) and as much as possible link them to desired job skills- for example if I am trying to highlight my skill in getting along with people..I might mention how I managed a small department/club/meeting successfully.
    HTH

PacificSky Guest

This is definitely an old school resume- you are listing job duties but not identifying what you brought to the position- accomplishments, leadership, reductions, improvements in processes, etc.

I would go through each of my bullets and determine what occured, for the benefit of the company/public, from my daily duties.

For example, you did this task:
    •Investigated complaints from public regarding unsanitary conditions.

What did this do for the public? You investigated but did you act?

You could say something like:
    I contributed to our societies wellness by enforcing all Board of Health sanitary requirements which resulted in a 20% reduction in complaints- just change up your wording and you'll be fine.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wow...thanks ladies...I really appreciate all comments/advice. I didn't realize that my resume was "old school" so I really need to change it up. Thanks again!