Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi Ladies,

Newbie here with a somewhat stupid question. I've noticed quite a few ladies mentioning at one time or another about their hair liking a particular substance. I.e. My hair loves water, my hair likes shea butter, my hair does NOT like shea butter, etc, etc...

My question is... How do you know when your hair likes something or not? Can you give me an example of what your hair does when it likes a particular product, and an example of when it does NOT like something? That way I can know what types of things to look for when trying new things on my hair. I appreciate your input!
    Shalom!!
    [i]-zai[/i]

Last cfc: 02/06
    BC: 12/27/06

[url="http://public.fotki.com/zai2007/"]http://public.fotki.com/zai2007/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not a stupid question! :blush:

When my hair likes a product, it is:

1. MOISTURIZED- probably the most important thing to me
    2. Curls the way it does when damp (because it is moist and therefore in it's ideal state)
    3. Not "coated"- I hate that film-y feeling some products leave on your hair... buildup is NOT cute
    4. Maintains all of the above hours later- some products are temporary fixes and that bothers me. The true test is if my hair maintains the moisture after my hair is dry.

Also important:
    > the 'slip' gained from a product when detangling, etc.
    > if my scalp reacts by ithing, etc

HTH!
    <div align="center">[url="http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119312&st=0"]Natural Newbie Manual![/url]
    [center][url="http://prettyprops.etsy.com"][img]http://ny-image3.etsy.com/iusa_75x75.5557059.jpg[/img][/url]</div>[color=#FF0000]NP 773[/color][/center]<div align="center">[url="http://www.fotki.com/nelle11236"]My Hair- Updated 10/26[/url]</div><div align="center">[b]JULY 2008 NOTM![/b]</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair "likes" a product when:
    -it stays moisturized for more than 10 minutes :P
    - it doesn&#39;t feel too heavy
    -it has a healthy look: not stiff or "ashy" looking
    -it leaves my hair pliable

My hair doesn&#39;t like a product when:
    -it feels sticky or waxy to the touch
    -it is dry and crunchy-feeling
    -it feels brittle
    -it doesn&#39;t hold a style well
    -it tangles my hair
    -it gives my hair a weird tint (certain products leave my hair with a grayish cast)

Hope this helps!

ETA: ITA with NewlyNappyNelle about the scalp reaction factor. Anything that makes my scalp itch is definitely a no-no.
    Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Weekly (sometimes Daily) Updates!

Come visit my album! Sit back and have fun! Leave a comment!

Twinkie is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Ladies,

Newbie here with a somewhat stupid question. I&#39;ve noticed quite a few ladies mentioning at one time or another about their hair liking a particular substance. I.e. My hair loves water, my hair likes shea butter, my hair does NOT like shea butter, etc, etc...

My question is... How do you know when your hair likes something or not? Can you give me an example of what your hair does when it likes a particular product, and an example of when it does NOT like something? That way I can know what types of things to look for when trying new things on my hair. I appreciate your input!
    [/b]
    I just figured out my hair likes non-oil moisturizers when I tried the Oyin Greg juice. Before that, I suspected oils weren&#39;t good, but didn&#39;t know what else to do for my hair. I know my hair loves water because it&#39;s easier to comb with water and a detangler and it also seems to come to life when I spray water on it in its dry state. My hair stays moisturized pretty well with shea butter. It&#39;s smoother with aloe because I actually got the plant once and tried it--only I figured out I need an actual product after it started looking a little raggedy on day 4. I&#39;ve also figured out my twists look better smaller just by doing them different each time and comparing. When my hair doesn&#39;t like a product, it&#39;s hard to comb, dry and hard. I don&#39;t like the hard gel feel.

The other thing that&#39;s worked for me has been looking on here for people with the same hair type and look I&#39;m trying to achieve and paying attention to their routine and the products they use. It was hard for me to decide, but I went with Oyin products.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair "likes" a product when:
    -it stays moisturized for more than 10 minutes :P
    - it doesn&#39;t feel too heavy
    -it has a healthy look: not stiff or "ashy" looking
    -it leaves my hair pliable

My hair doesn&#39;t like a product when:
    -it feels sticky or waxy to the touch
    -it is dry and crunchy-feeling
    -it feels brittle
    -it doesn&#39;t hold a style well
    -it tangles my hair
    -it gives my hair a weird tint (certain products leave my hair with a grayish cast)

Hope this helps!
    ETA: ITA with NewlyNappyNelle about the scalp reaction factor. Anything that makes my scalp itch is definitely a no-no.
    [/b]
    Co-signing w/ Icetia, minus the tinting factor.
    My Travel Blog | October 2007 Napptural of the Month (still looking for the link)

"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."
    ~Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

B_Phlyy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tell if my hair likes a product by the way it looks and feels consistently. If I have good results one day and bad results the next, I&#39;d try it out a few more times before I decide if its a hit or miss.
    The_Epitome_of_Glamour My Fotki

IMHO, you can never have too much conditioner.
    ~Proverb from a Product Junkie

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for me it&#39;s how does my hair feel after a few days with a product and how well my style holds up. i.e. i had a fantabulous twistout still on day 5 using elasta qp mango butter and curly pudding. my hair was all purty and shiny AND my hair didnt get tangled at all
    Thanks to my angel who made me PANK again!!!

Syb is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair likes:

1.Natural Oils and Butters
    2.Paraben free products

When I use products that have these types of ingredients in it, my hair feels moist to the touch and a lot softer.

But when I use products that are composed up of a lot of synthetic ingredients and preservatives, my hair comes out looking subpar. My hair will either feel dry, coated, or just plain greasy.
    Lover of Self, Lover of Hair, Lover of Life
    "Curls Tester"
    Current length: BSL
    Goal Length: Waistlength