Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All,

My natural hair is about shoulder length now - when stretched. Should I get locs? I am really considering it, but shying away because it is so permanent. I see women with locs all the time and I am envious. But at the same time I think I may miss my hair. My hair used to be so manageable when It was shorter. Now It knots and locks up in certain sections and I am not pleased. Other days I love it. I always dream of wearing the big bushy fros, but with all my shrinkage it will be years before I am able to do that. If I get locs I want them at a size where I can do all diffrent types of styles roller sets etc. Here are some questions for my loc'd sisters:

1. What made you loc?
    2. Positives and Negatives?
    3. Do you miss your loose hair?
    4. Does your hair seem to grow faster with locs?
    5. What method did you use - palm rolling, two strand or interlocking?
    6. Does starting locs with a two strand give a different look than the palm rolling? How does the look differ?
    7. Are you less gentle when styling your locs then with natural hair. For instance when doing updo's do you have to worry about a loc popping, etc.

Thanks in advance. This is a big decision for me, but I am really considering.
    If you’re walking down the right path and you’re willing to keep walking, eventually you’ll make progress.
    Barack Obama

Tiye is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All,

My natural hair is about shoulder length now - when stretched. Should I get locs?

This is something that you and only you can decide. When you're ready you'll know it. No one else can tell you when.

I am really considering it, but shying away because it is so permanent. I see women with locs all the time and I am envious. But at the same time I think I may miss my hair. My hair used to be so manageable when It was shorter. Now It knots and locks up in certain sections and I am not pleased. Other days I love it. I always dream of wearing the big bushy fros, but with all my shrinkage it will be years before I am able to do that. If I get locs I want them at a size where I can do all diffrent types of styles roller sets etc. Here are some questions for my loc'd sisters:

1. What made you loc?

No negatives.

My hair is all still here and lots of it. The only difference is that most of it grows together in groups/villages, etc., rather than in single strands. This symbolizes strength in unity so I like it this way.

The growth rate is the same. You accumulate more over the years because you aren't combing it, and there's no breakage at the ends.

Braids.

6. Does starting locs with a two strand give a different look than the palm rolling? How does the look differ?

Over the longterm, i.e. once they mature there is very little difference. Check out albums of people who have been locking for more than about 5 years and you'll see what I mean.

7. Are you less gentle when styling your locs then with natural hair. For instance when doing updo's do you have to worry about a loc popping, etc.

I don't style my own hair much but generally speaking if your locks are healthy they are pretty sturdy. The only thing to be mindful of is pulling too tight which will cause fraying and breakage.

[/b]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi ALSAXON
    can we talk? I'm going through the same thing I'll PM you x
    PEOPLE ! STAY NATURAL ! IT'S IMPORTANT FOR OUR GENERATIONS, GENERATIONS, GENERATIONS...... onelovex

coming soon...

myspace
    I can't fit into a stereotype that makes me comfortable for you,"
    "If that makes me feel uncomfortable to you, I need to find some new company."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi ALSAXON
    can we talk? I'm going through the same thing I'll PM you x
    [/b]
    Hey Pm me too!!!!!!!!!!! I am contemplating locs but I keep going back and forth. Since they are so permanent I am waiting until i am defintely sure.
    "No woman should believe that in order to be beautiful you have to be the opposite of what you are."
    -T'keyah Crystal Keymah

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there... last month I chopped off all of my p.ermed hair and started my locs via comb coils. I must say that despite all of the encouragement and support I had to get locs, none of it mattered until I was ready to make that step. When you are truly ready, I feel like nothing will matter...not how permanent it is, not how weird or bad you will look during the beginning stages..nothing! also, some people say locs are so "permanent" but I never really thought so...yes if you want to have your hair loose again, you have to allow your new growth or attempt to painstakingly take them out but this is no different than if you would like to grow out your perm or even get a perm again after you go natural...locs offer numerous options...(you go through each stage which is exciting, along with growh and progress comes length, then updo's...you can cut them, braid them, twist them, color them, phew!!!! and the list goes on )but I definitely do understand where you are coming from, and it is a big step...good luck!
    sorry so much text lol
    --Adrienne

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All,

My natural hair is about shoulder length now - when stretched. Should I get locs? I am really considering it, but shying away because it is so permanent. I see women with locs all the time and I am envious. But at the same time I think I may miss my hair. My hair used to be so manageable when It was shorter. Now It knots and locks up in certain sections and I am not pleased. Other days I love it. I always dream of wearing the big bushy fros, but with all my shrinkage it will be years before I am able to do that. If I get locs I want them at a size where I can do all diffrent types of styles roller sets etc. Here are some questions for my loc'd sisters:

1. What made you loc?

Have always admired locs. Gone through some things and decided to do some things that I put off for one reason or the other and locs were just one of those things.

Positives - there's an attitude that comes with locs. Almost a rebellious type accept me as I am meant to be. I don't have to conform to anyone's idea of beauty or anything else. I've gotten rid of pantyhose/stockings, I have locs, The only thing that would be more liberating is to get rid of this bra!
    Morning hair time has been cut to almost nothing. Negatives - folks feeling it okay to tell me or others in a group that they like my hair burnt out like I used to do it more or "I told her I love her hair when it's straight". Folks walking up putting their hands in your hair without an invitation (that's a personal space issue I'm trying to work through)

At times when I see the cutest puff, but (like gas) it passes almost immediately.

Fast growing hair was never an issue for me though in the beginning of the locking stage my hair appeared to shrink.

Sisterlocks

Don't have a clue

Nope. Pretty much the same.

[/b]
    You're welcome. Help some of this helps. Enjoy the ride.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. What made you loc?
    My hair was always thin and fragile. 20 years of perming was making it even thinner and more fragile so I decided to stop 'chemicalizing'

Positives:
    a. Get-up-and-go hair! I can get out of the house without having to worry about it.
    b. Not fearing the rain. My hair "went back" very easily when permed. If there was even a hint of moisture in the air, I had an afro. :-)
    c. Strangers stop me all the time and compliment me on my hair
    d. I finally have the length I always wanted. For me, length = versatility

Negatives
    Haven't found any yet.

3. Do you miss your loose hair? Hardly ever

4. Does your hair seem to grow faster with locs? I wouldn't say it grew faster; I'd say it finally stopped breaking off.

5. What method did you use - palm rolling, two strand or interlocking? I used the latch hook.

6. Does starting locs with a two strand give a different look than the palm rolling? How does the look differ? Couldn't say since neither applies to me

7. Are you less gentle when styling your locs then with natural hair. For instance when doing updo's do you have to worry about a loc popping, etc..
    I have 'hand-in-the-hair-itis' -- and always have. I've been loc'd for 3 1/2 years and have only lost one loc, probably due to rough handling in the shower. My locs are fairly thin; slightly thinner than a pencil but I don't worry about breakage. They appear to be very strong.

As I said to someone else here, locs are like tattooes. Think long and hard about why you want them and whether or not you want to keep it permanently because it's very difficult to undo once you've gone the whole route. I have both and there's a tattoo I'm gonna have to spend a lot of time and money getting rid of -- argh!

My unasked for two cents: Don't do it for 'style', i.e., because you liked the way it looked on one friend or someone you saw on the street. You might fall in love with another 'style' in a few months or next year and then where will you be?

First question you should ask YOURself: Why do I want to loc?

Hope this helps.... good luck!
    *.Lee
    [SIZE=1][url="http://fivetoninedesign.1000Markets.com"]http://abelees.1000Markets.com[/url]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [i]-- You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Mahatma Gandhi [/i][/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All,

1. What made you loc?
    I didn't like having a twa, and loved the way they looked on others.

My hair is fabulous. Negatives-mostly the bad energy from others that they try and project onto me

no

no

palm rolling

my friend started with two strands as did another lady I know. they look similar to mine from what I can tell.

I didn't have a loose natural long enough to anwer this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All,

1. What made you loc?

I have been natural for awhile. Being that my lifestyle is pretty busy. I do not have time to mess with my hair much plus allowing it to be natural and healthy w/o excessive products or manipulation.

To me there are more positives than negatives!!!! only negative is starting them I back combed mine and they were a mess but as time went by they started to assimilate what nature want them to do.

No!

They do because hair that would normally shed is intermeshed with the growing hence giving the appearance it grows quite fast.

BACK COMBED!!! My hair is not straight naturally! I find this method worked best for me because when you did it I did not require rubberbands and lots of beeswax in about 4 mos my hair locked!!!!

I can't speak on that considering I did neither.

I treat my hair gentle either way!!!!!
    [/b]
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. What made you loc?

I had wanted to loc for a long time, I was just scared. I got tired of taking my braids down and putting them back up over and over again.

I don't have any negatives. But the positives are I can just get up and go, I don't have to run from water and my hair is healty and versatile when it comes to styles.

No, because I can do just about anything with my locs.

Yes. My locs are chemical free and healthy and I actually see a lot more growth every 6-8 weeks, because that is when I latch my new growth.

I latchmy locks.

Only in the beginning. As your locs mature, the hairs will blend into the loc and you will not be able to tell that they are two strand twists. They will look like one strand of hair.

I am not any less gentle now than I was when I was relaxed. As far as locs popping out of an und, it just depends on how long your locs are, but if a strand falls down, I don't worry about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast