YOU WILL NEED
- 2 kg (4.4 lbs.) ripe, fresh avocado.
- Overripe is OK, underripe is not
- 1 L (4.2 cups) coconut cream
- 1 large cooking pot
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 large piece of cotton or muslin cloth, tightly woven
- 1 blender or food processor
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 small, sterilized, airtight glass container, preferably dark
- Scrape the flesh off from the avocado into your blender.
- Pour the coconut cream into the blender.
- Blend the avocado/coconut cream to a smooth paste – you don’t want any chunky bits.
- Pour the paste into your cooking pot and cook slowly at low heat, stirring every 5 minutes
- Do not allow the paste to burn or scald. If it starts sticking to the sides or bottom it is burning!
- Cook the paste until all the moisture has evaporated out of it and it is firm, then remove from heat.
- Place your cloth over the mixing bowl and put the cooked mixture on top of the cloth over the bowl.
- Proceed to squeeze the ball of cooked avocado to extract the oil into the bowl. Squeeze hard to extract as much oil as possible. You can even jimmy-rig up a tourniquet of sorts using the wooden spoon if you are able.
- Pour the oil into your jar. That’s it! You have made your own avocado oil.
Believe it or not, what remains in the cloth can be used to wash dishes. Or you can put it in the garden or compost bin.Add to Favorites