- The War Against Natural Hair Read 10395 times
- The Myth of Militancy Read 2264 times
- Comfrey Elder Rinse Read 6098 times
- Short Natural Hair. Care! Read 3672 times
- Jojoba Oil Read 9240 times
- Embracing the Silvering Crown - Naturally Graying Hair Read 17002 times
- Single Strand Knots - How to Fix That Read 5349 times
Patricia Gaines aka Deecoily is the founder and creator of Nappturality in 2002, the beginning of the natural hair movement. Since 2000 she has been blogging on all things natural hair, Black culture and politics.
We often hear our hair being referred to as having “elasticity” but what does this really mean and why is it important for natural hair?
We all know it's happening and we cannot be reminded too much that our natural hair is still being vilified in the mainstream world.
The words “clumpy” and “chunky” brings some not-so-pretty things to mind, except in the world of natural hair, where the words are viewed as a neat thing our natural hair does. I have heard the terms “chunky puff”, “chunky ‘fro” and “chunky wash-and-go” used separately but all relating to the same general look.
Have you been accosted by strangers and friends reaching out to touch your natural tresses? Have you almost gotten whiplash from trying to avoid all the pokers, grabbers and feelers? Yeah, me too. And as the years have gone by, it is still happening.