PDA

View Full Version : Shear Genius

Ammabu
05-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Did anybody see the last episode of Shear Genius. They had segment where they had to style African American Hair. The ladies they had to choose from had beautiful hair. However, their challenge was to straighten it. :Angry: One of them even got the creamy crack put on their head. I just had to vent about it Why couldn't they style their hair without straightening it. Thumbs down, Shear Genius, Thumbs down.

Naturally Divine
05-24-2007, 06:30 PM
I love that show! I missed last night, but I was wondering when and if they were going to do napps. I guess I will have to catch it this weekend.

Mae
05-24-2007, 06:33 PM
The black guest judge's line was classic..."we want our hair to swing and move and look good like....everybody else" All I could think was she should of just came out and said that black women want their hair to swing and move and look good like white folks hair...

missCONGENIALity
05-24-2007, 07:07 PM
^^ I saw that. I thought it was interesting how the white guy was explaining the damage and dangers of using chemicals. I was :Angry: when Boogie but that chemical fire cream in that girls hair. It didn't even look cute in the end.

ctate5
05-24-2007, 07:13 PM
The black guest judge's line was classic..."we want our hair to swing and move and look good like....everybody else" All I could think was she should of just came out and said that black women want their hair to swing and move and look good like white folks hair...
[/b]

i saw that. i was like is she going to say it.......... :lol: yeah, dr. boogie's style was a bit of a mess.

LilShortRib
05-24-2007, 07:23 PM
I knew ya'll would be up in hea talking about this!!!

^^ I saw that. I thought it was interesting how the white guy was explaining the damage and dangers of using chemicals. I was :Angry: when Boogie but that chemical fire cream in that girls hair. It didn't even look cute in the end.
[/b]
Girl you took the words right out of my mouth. Dr. Boogie was talking all that mess about how he was the only one brave enough to use a r3lax3r and how he knew he had everything in the bag because he knew r3lax3rs, and the white guy was the one talking about how bad they were for your hair, and then Dr. Boogie's hairstyle came out looking the worst... :rolleyes:

ETA - I was upset that the only challenge dealing with AA hair had to do with getting it as straight as humanly possible, but then I had to think about it - if it was an AA show if it weren&#39;t about getting it as straight as humanly possible, it probably woulda been how to get it as FAKE as humanly possible. Unbeweavable...<_<

LaMonica
05-24-2007, 07:48 PM
I thought I was the only person watching this show..Good to know I&#39;m not.

Ya know...I know he messed up..but I like Ben. I like that he isn&#39;t afraid toshow his ignorance , and is willing to learn from it. I couldn&#39;t believe Boogie put that crap in that childs head..I mean..why not just use a flaming hot tool of hair torture? At least she could just take some water and go back .

And yeah..the whole.."We want our hair to swing and bounce .."Like everyone else"...KILL ME..KILL ME NOW!..

I want Anthony to win...but I think Daisy may have it..she is good.

Butterfly24
05-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I saw it too. I was so happy they had natural black women and then they said they were either going to straighten it or relax it...like that&#39;s all black women can do with their hair. :Angry: I was hoping they would do a nice roller set or briad it up or something, but nooooooo........

The black guest judge&#39;s line was classic..."we want our hair to swing and move and look good like....everybody else" All I could think was she should of just came out and said that black women want their hair to swing and move and look good like white folks hair...
[/b]

I knew she was gonna say "like white folks hair" but she caught herself and had to be p.c. or whatever you wanna call it.

And now a word to the hairdressers: :soapbox: YOU CAN DO OTHER THINGS WITH BLACK PEOPLE&#39;S NATURAL HAIR BESIDES STRAIGHTEN IT! FREAKIN DUMB STYLISTS! HEY LOOK, MY HAIR&#39;S MOVING AND SWINGING RIGHT NOW...AND IT&#39;S NOT STRAIGHT!

::steps off soap box::

Poetic_Butterfly
05-24-2007, 07:59 PM
I know that seems to happen all the time on these shows. A woman may start off with curly hair and they make it straight like white people&#39;s hair. I&#39;ve seen it on American Idol, America&#39;s Next Top Model, and many other make over shows. But on Shear Genius they actually complain that working with curly hair is so hard and why would anybody want to work ona head like that for the show. I eman when they choose models the girls with the so-called curly hair are picked last. I hated when they try to accomodate to white standards of beauty!!

I think that is so boring and predictable!!

Peace,
Rasta

yassylane
05-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Boogie said her hair was like a brillo pad :Angry:

natitwists
05-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Did Boogie get voted off? Yea I caught that "swingin hair" comment too and just <_< :doh :rolleyes:

AfricanDiva86
05-24-2007, 09:32 PM
It seems like everyone believes that straight hair = beautiful hair

Jess Tresses
05-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Dang it - I haven&#39;t seen Shear Genius in a few weeks. I need to catch up on Bravo reruns. I am not surprised Dr. Boogie put a cfc in a woman&#39;s head, I am surprised he is still on the show. In the first couple of episodes, there was a woman with napptural hair and the stylists weren&#39;t choosing her. Dr. Boogie choose her because he claimed he knew how to work with the texture. I was just happy to see that she wasn&#39;t left to the end. And good for the white dude for being honest about chemicals. I wonder how the hair model felt about her hair being processed? Poor woman... :(

honeybunch2k5
05-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I saw it too. I was so happy they had natural black women and then they said they were either going to straighten it or relax it...like that&#39;s all black women can do with their hair. :Angry: I was hoping they would do a nice roller set or briad it up or something, but nooooooo........
I knew she was gonna say "like white folks hair" but she caught herself and had to be p.c. or whatever you wanna call it.
And now a word to the hairdressers: :soapbox: YOU CAN DO OTHER THINGS WITH BLACK PEOPLE&#39;S NATURAL HAIR BESIDES STRAIGHTEN IT! FREAKIN DUMB STYLISTS! HEY LOOK, MY HAIR&#39;S MOVING AND SWINGING RIGHT NOW...AND IT&#39;S NOT STRAIGHT!

::steps off soap box::
[/b]
ITA.

I didn&#39;t see it, but maybe it&#39;s on youtube...

caramelaggie
05-25-2007, 04:50 AM
The black guest judge&#39;s line was classic..."we want our hair to swing and move and look good like....everybody else" All I could think was she should of just came out and said that black women want their hair to swing and move and look good like white folks hair...
[/b]

I saw this comment and initially I had a problem with it as well. But if you must wear your hair straight then you would want your hair to flow. Let’s face it ladies there are always going to be black women that want their hair straight so I do think that it was important that the show go into that part of hairstyling. But I think it would have sat better with me if there was another challenge dealing with natural hair. Or a challenge just in styling the hair that did not necessarily require straightening. I definitely would have liked for them to show that not all black women were their hair straight.

Also that girl had a hear of natural hair and I would not have let had Boogie straighten it! I have seen other models tell the stylist what they wanted and didn’t want and I have seen some models say no. She could have said no and made him work it out.

I agree with others. Boogie talked all that stuff and yeah he did get her hair straight but it wasn’t cute. I think she looked cute before than her after but maybe that is because I like natural hair. He could at least have given her a fly cut. It looked like he straighten it and bumped it. I wasn’t impressed that is probably why he went home on that episode.

As much as I love Anthony and his locs. I really do think that Daisy deserves to win. She really is good.

curlycoilyfroily
05-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Shear Genius Finale Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO6qCzR3fFE)

This little white boy said, "The words &#39;African-American hair&#39; kinda make you shake a little bit, because you never know what you&#39;re gonna get.&#39;"

WTF?!?!?!?! does THAT mean?!?!?!?!?!?! :Angry:

And why does the judge&#39;s hair look like it&#39;s thinning?

And what is this OTHER fool talking about, a chemical fire cream doesn&#39;t make your hair bone straight; it just "texturizes" it. Jesus take the wheel.

:huh:

caramelaggie
05-25-2007, 06:32 AM
[And what is this OTHER fool talking about, a chemical fire cream doesn&#39;t make your hair bone straight; it just "texturizes" it. Jesus take the wheel.

:huh:
[/b]

You know that Dr. boogie just likes to her himself talk.

Mae
05-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Shear Genius Finale Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO6qCzR3fFE)

This little white boy said, "The words &#39;African-American hair&#39; kinda make you shake a little bit, because you never know what you&#39;re gonna get.&#39;"

WTF?!?!?!?! does THAT mean?!?!?!?!?!?! :Angry:

\ :huh:
[/b]

I took it to mean that African-American hair is so diverse, you could have anything (like the various models) also, remember he had the black girl for the Vanessa Williams challenge, and was shocked to find that she had a weave...so as a stylist with little to no experience with black hair, he was a little scared....many of us (black folk) are scared when it comes to our hair too, until we learn how do work with it...

I saw this comment and initially I had a problem with it as well. But if you must wear your hair straight then you would want your hair to flow. [/b]
yeah, but like others have said, she was about to say, or at least was implying, flow like white folks...which I do take issue with...just hearing that type of stuff come out of black folks mouths without even a hint of shame gives me pause.... :(

TalkingYam
05-25-2007, 07:59 AM
:offtop:

Did anyone see "What Not to Wear" a couple of weeks ago with the natural sister from Harlem? I was so worried when she sat down with Nick the hair guy. But to my surprise and delight, he gave her a nice low &#39;fro sans any chemicals. She looked awesome.

Mae
05-25-2007, 08:09 AM

Did anyone see "What Not to Wear" a couple of weeks ago with the natural sister from Harlem? I was so worried when she sat down with Nick the hair guy. But to my surprise and delight, he gave her a nice low &#39;fro sans any chemicals. She looked awesome.
[/b]

ugh..don&#39;t tease me...I don&#39;t get TLC where I live and WNTW was my favorite show... :(

honeybunch2k5
05-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Heaven forbid they learn how to do more ethnic styles like braids, cornrows, twists, flat twists, etc.!!!!

Hpmomma
05-25-2007, 08:23 AM

[/b]

I :wub: Nick Orrojo! There was another Natural black woman on the show. She was wearing locs! He teased her about cutting it off and she near went ballistic. But, he gave her a great product to keep her locs free from smoke and other smells. I believe it was and Aveda product. Nick is pretty awesome when it comes to black hair on the show. I would love to see more that in the main stream.

law
05-25-2007, 08:48 AM
I watched Shear Genius and just shook my head. It is a shame that most people believe that straight seems to be the only way to do our texture of hair.

I did see WNTW and love the cut Nick gave to her. She really did look good. I think Nick is the only stylist I would let near my hair (like I would have the cash to afford him).

curlycoilyfroily
05-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Heaven forbid they learn how to do more ethnic styles like braids, cornrows, twists, flat twists, etc.!!!!
[/b]

:rolleyes: Come on, honeybunch. You know that would be too hard. :icon_headshake:

KB
05-25-2007, 09:35 AM
all season i was tellin my mom that a TRUE challenge would be them doin natural/black folk hair- but i foolishly forgot that they would p.ress it and NOT keep it natural :doh:

honeybunch2k5
05-25-2007, 10:09 AM
:rolleyes: Come on, honeybunch. You know that would be too hard. :icon_headshake:
[/b]
You&#39;re right. Expecting a hairstylist to style hair is just too much to ask...

Miquie
05-25-2007, 10:53 AM
:Angry: I have never watched this show before, but I&#39;m viewing the clip now and three things (that haven&#39;t been mentioned yet) upset me:

#1 Dr. Boogie said, "I HAD NO CHOICE but to give her a chemical fire cream &#39;cause mama had some thick wool hair."

#2 Dr. Boogie said to his model, "Lookin&#39; around the room, everyone is getting away with no relaxers... they got off easy."
#3 The Model&#39;s reply, "I know. I&#39;m sorry" Da hell she apologizing for? :Angry:

jmnappy
05-25-2007, 11:35 AM
:Angry: I have never watched this show before, but I&#39;m viewing the clip now and three things (that haven&#39;t been mentioned yet) upset me:

#1 Dr. Boogie said, "I HAD NO CHOICE but to give her a chemical fire cream &#39;cause mama had some thick wool hair."

#2 Dr. Boogie said to his model, "Lookin&#39; around the room, everyone is getting away with no relaxers... they got off easy."
#3 The Model&#39;s reply, "I know. I&#39;m sorry" Da hell she apologizing for? :Angry:
[/b]

He&#39;s so cocky.

LilShortRib
05-25-2007, 11:48 AM
[/b]
Nah, that wouldn&#39;t be too hard... It would be too *whispers and looks around to see if de white folk can hear* ethnic*...

God forbid a Black woman on t.v. actually looks, *gasp* BLACK... Heaven perish at the thought!!! <_<

*Turning to ask Dr. Boogie &#39;Does this skin make me look black???"* :lol:

caramelaggie
05-25-2007, 12:53 PM

[/b]

Yeah I noticed that when I watched the show the other night and I didnt like all of these comments either. I had a serious issue at all of his comments and I dont know why she was apologizing for. I actually envied her hair it was very thick.

Nah, that wouldn&#39;t be too hard... It would be too *whispers and looks around to see if de white folk can hear* ethnic*...

God forbid a Black woman on t.v. actually looks, *gasp* BLACK... Heaven perish at the thought!!! <_<

*Turning to ask Dr. Boogie &#39;Does this skin make me look black???"* :lol:[/b]

LOL! :lol:

turnergirl
05-25-2007, 12:53 PM
This was sickening. I was just wondering what that sister was thinking. Did she grow her hair out just to let someone run a perm through it. I just did not get that. She had at least a year of good growth just gone just like that. I didn&#39;t get it.

NaturalBeauty83
05-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Did anybody see the last episode of Shear Genius. They had segment where they had to style African American Hair. The ladies they had to choose from had beautiful hair. However, their challenge was to straighten it. :Angry: One of them even got the creamy crack put on their head. I just had to vent about it Why couldn&#39;t they style their hair without straightening it. Thumbs down, Shear Genius, Thumbs down.
[/b]

Sistah, I share your frustration. I was yelling at the tv so loudly, my DH thought I was going crazy. He asked me what was wrong, I told him: "Look at this foolishness they are about to do to the heads of these gorgeous women!!!" One of the girls said she had just dyed her hair but I wonder if she just said it so that they couldn&#39;t give her a re.laxer :P

tianatamara
05-25-2007, 01:09 PM
I LOVE Anthony…Go Anthony!!!

Anyways, this show always bothered me a bit because they never did any African-American’s hair ….Natural hair that is…So I was happy when I found out that the challenge was to do AA natural hair. But then when they said to straighten it and Dr. Boogie put the chemical fire cream in it…I was heated! Also, the guest judge comment made her look real stupid…she might as well have said black women want to have white hair. How sickening. I agree with you all.

natitwists
05-25-2007, 01:17 PM
So ummmmm did Boogie get voted off or what?

I LOVE What Not To Wear and part of the reason I love, besides the great fashion advice no matter what size you are, is that Nick always works with people&#39;s texture. Every single natural that has been on that show, he&#39;s worked with their hair. He&#39;s even said, in his cute little accent, "ya got to work with ya hair" :) He does a great job with curly heads, napps, straight. I LOVE Nick! I&#39;d let him do my hair fa sho. That is the ony show that I&#39;ve come across where they aren&#39;t so quick to want to straighten everybody&#39;s hair to death.

caramelaggie
05-25-2007, 01:37 PM
So ummmmm did Boogie get voted off or what?

I LOVE What Not To Wear and part of the reason I love, besides the great fashion advice no matter what size you are, is that Nick always works with people&#39;s texture. Every single natural that has been on that show, he&#39;s worked with their hair. He&#39;s even said, in his cute little accent, "ya got to work with ya hair" :) He does a great job with curly heads, napps, straight. I LOVE Nick! I&#39;d let him do my hair fa sho. That is the ony show that I&#39;ve come across where they aren&#39;t so quick to want to straighten everybody&#39;s hair to death.
[/b]

You are so right about that. Nick is always about working with what you got but that is what the whole show is about. Taking you and enhancing your good points. It’s a very positive show.

LilShortRib
05-25-2007, 01:38 PM
^^^Yeah I forgot to mention ironically this was the show he was kicked off of, but I think it was moreso because of the final challenge - people were supposed to show &#39;hair with motion&#39; in a photo shoot, so he gave his model this unbeweavable monstrosity and every five seconds he was &#39;stepping in&#39; to do some primping and it really held up the shoot and made the photog and staff p!ssed because he kept interrupting.

Then on top of that he added MORE tracks to the model&#39;s hair in the middle of the shoot and she looked like a weave store exploded on her head because it was WAY too much hair for one person and it didn&#39;t look natural nor moveable.

The panel commented about how overly arrogant he is and they think it&#39;s to cover up his insecurity...

Did ya&#39;ll see when he was asked what celeb&#39;s hair he has done and he stuttered before he could come up with some names??? I hate to think he is lying, but he sounded a &#39;lil suspect... :rolleyes:

caramelaggie
05-25-2007, 01:51 PM
^^^Yeah I forgot to mention ironically this was the show he was kicked off of, but I think it was moreso because of the final challenge - people were supposed to show &#39;hair with motion&#39; in a photo shoot, so he gave his model this unbeweavable monstrosity and every five seconds he was &#39;stepping in&#39; to do some primping and it really held up the shoot and made the photog and staff p!ssed because he kept interrupting.

Then on top of that he added MORE tracks to the model&#39;s hair in the middle of the shoot and she looked like a weave store exploded on her head because it was WAY too much hair for one person and it didn&#39;t look natural nor moveable.

The panel commented about how overly arrogant he is and they think it&#39;s to cover up his insecurity...

Did ya&#39;ll see when he was asked what celeb&#39;s hair he has done and he stuttered before he could come up with some names??? I hate to think he is lying, but he sounded a &#39;lil suspect... :rolleyes:
[/b]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Rib you are funny to me! But you are right it really was one track to many and it did look really heavy and the girls hair was supposed to look light.

I have been thinking that Boogie is full of it. He gives himself too many compliments.

But I dont like about him the most is when he said her head looked like a brillo pad. That was not cool at all.

Kinkygirl
05-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Saw it and knew the moment the models were shown that somebody was going to slap some p.er.m in sombody&#39;s head. I loved me some Dr. Boogie up until he made those comments about his model&#39;s hair. They were uncalled for and the AGAIN leave the impression that black hair is unmanageable, untameable, and the ABSOLUTE only thing that can and should be done to it is to either p.erm it to death or blow dry and flat flaming hot tool of hair torture it to death which is what one of the other stylists did. Nobody was trying to work with any of their natural textures and I wanted to slap the judge with her comments. Please SOMEBODY give us a show like BLOW OUT about a natural hair salon!

sugabear906
05-25-2007, 03:46 PM
That black chick with the natural afro is ignorant for allowing boogie to put that in her hair. Most of the other stylist were against the use of relaxers, and they all did a better job than boogie with out it.

ria_986
05-25-2007, 10:32 PM
I am sooo glad someone started a topic about this, cuz it really bothered me!!!

I don&#39;t like the overall message of that episode: :Angry: That "African-American" hair is the ULTIMATE challenge. I&#39;m surprised that mainstream stylists can get by without ever having to style ALL hair textures.

It reminds of this time when I was younger...

We couldn&#39;t get a hold of our regular stylist so my mom went to SuperCuts, the cheap salon that claimed they would cut anybody&#39;s hair for one flat price. She wanted to set an appointment for me to get a haircut. But as soon as they saw her face they told her flatly that they "don&#39;t do Black hair".

Now I&#39;m not sure why my mom would even want me to go to a place like SuperCuts :rolleyes: , but it&#39;s the principle.

<_< How could someone consider him/herself a true stylist when there&#39;s a whole group of people whose hair he/she cannot style? Why are we void from the equation of mainstream haircare?

I don&#39;t like that.

honeybunch2k5
05-26-2007, 06:40 AM
^Girl, I know exactly what you mean. A year or two ago I was searching for someone to do my hair. My mom suggested I go to this particular salon, but some how I ended up at the wrong one. I stepped inside and these white women were lookin at me like, WWWTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF? :noway: :noway: I mean the expressions on their faces and the tones of their voices were PRICELESS. One was like, "Umm, uhhhh I guess we can do your hair!."

I left. I wasn&#39;t about to have them touch my head if they were gonna send me creepy, -we-don&#39;t-do-negro-hair vibes.

fiesole
05-26-2007, 07:20 AM

[/b]

I&#39;ve never even heard of this program, but also watched the clip and I couldn&#39;t agree with you more on these points.
Further, when those sisters all walked in the room with their curly hair? Gorgeous. Should have sent them all home because all of their hair was fly. Just another reminder of why I have not been in a hair salon in ages.
Oh, and the sister judging the styles had the same short, flat damaged looking hair I see on every street corner every day. She is really one to judge.

curlycoilyfroily
05-26-2007, 08:50 AM
I&#39;ve never even heard of this program, but also watched the clip and I couldn&#39;t agree with you more on these points.
Further, when those sisters all walked in the room with their curly hair? Gorgeous. Should have sent them all home because all of their hair was fly. Just another reminder of why I have not been in a hair salon in ages.
Oh, and the sister judging the styles had the same short, flat damaged looking hair I see on every street corner every day. She is really one to judge.
[/b]

CO-SIGN. :rolleyes:

I thought about the nappy model who got the chemical fire cream and I wondered how she felt. I know I would&#39;ve forfeited my pay right then and there and walked off the set. But I can&#39;t imagine that she would audition for a hair show without knowing that she was putting the health of her tresses in somebody else&#39;s hands. She had to know that she might end up with a "stylist" who might not have the same hair philosophy as she did. So that leads me to believe that she sacrificed her look for work, which isn&#39;t necessarily a bad thing. Maybe changing her texture, risking damage to her hair and body, etc., just wasn&#39;t that big of a deal for her. :dunno:

aunatural86
05-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Did anybody see the last episode of Shear Genius. They had segment where they had to style African American Hair. The ladies they had to choose from had beautiful hair. However, their challenge was to straighten it. :Angry: One of them even got the creamy crack put on their head. I just had to vent about it Why couldn&#39;t they style their hair without straightening it. Thumbs down, Shear Genius, Thumbs down.
[/b]

I too was dissapointed <_< . They all had beautiful hair that could have been styled without straightening. I guess the positive side to it was that they actually styled a black person hair....dont see much of that done on these types of shows. The few times when they actually style black hair they always slap in bone straight sew-in weaves and dont even deal with our hair period.

childofmist
05-26-2007, 07:51 PM
I didn&#39;t see this episode but I&#39;m not surprised. I figured they&#39;d bring in some nappy heads so they could "tame" it with some relaxers. :rolleyes:

I stopped watching when they got rid of Tabitha.

subbrock
05-26-2007, 09:03 PM
i saw the show and i enjoyed it as much as i enjoy the usual episodes. but i guess i have a different take on the various comments that were the most "cringeworthy". excluding dr. boogie&#39;s....

1-but whomever said that it is not the job of a reelaxer to get the hair bone straight is absolutely right. every good educated stylist knows that. it is to reelax your hair&#39;s texture. and thats why alot of women get jacked up with reelaxers is because theyre trying to get their hair/their client&#39;s hair bone straight and that is not what it is designed to do.

2-with african american hair, its true--you never know what youre going to get! thats why so many of us get jacked up at salons...natural or not. there just isnt enough education on such a vast range of textures.

3-i didnt take offense either when the challenge was to straighten the hair because they have had challenged before when their task is to completely change what the hair looks like. for example, the long to short challenge. its not like they were saying "long hair is bad, you must have short hair!" but the purpose was to do a complete 180 from what the client already had.

4-the more i think about that lady&#39;s comment about the swingy bouncy hair it seems more suspect, but it didnt bother me because thats the same thing i want for my hair, hence why i stopped using gel. and voila my hair swings and bounces even more! do i want straight or white people hair? no ma&#39;am.

i still love the show and the industry though. i just dont let strangers play in my hair! ;)

meganjerai
05-28-2007, 12:14 PM
I&#39;m watching this episode now and I cringed watching this.

1. Why is that the woman with the coarser hair HAAAD to get a chemical fire cream?
2. Why was the challenge to straighten their hair???
3. Who made the guest the guru of Black hair???????

OMG, this show touched a bad nerve.

Majestic
05-28-2007, 03:55 PM
[/b]

AND the first name out of his mouth when he recovered was "Lisa Ray." :lol:

ray
05-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Yayyy!!! I am so glad that Anothny won. Dr. Boogie was too full of himself.

cmesweet
05-31-2007, 06:22 AM
Anthony knows how to work some hair! I also think he knows how to do natural styles, but I could be wrong.

Dr. Boogie, made me sick.

notroz2u
05-31-2007, 06:33 AM
It&#39;s funny that a white boy would recognize that chemicals ie: relaxers, perms where bad for the hair.

Dr Boogie pissed me off and so did the chick who let him relax her hair. He said sister had a head full of steal wool!! Her hair was beautiful

I did not want Anthony to win, I just did not like him

HapENap
05-31-2007, 06:53 AM
It&#39;s funny that a white boy would recognize that chemicals ie: relaxers, perms where bad for the hair.

Dr Boogie pissed me off and so did the chick who let him relax her hair. He said sister had a head full of steal wool!! Her hair was beautiful

I did not want Anthony to win, I just did not like him
[/b]

Just curious, but what didn&#39;t you like about him? I didn&#39;t dislike him, but I wanted Ben to win. I guess I just like rooting for the underdog. Also, I was soooo not feeling Daisy&#39;s first model for the final challenge. That "bump" "S", crap was not cute. I understand what she was going for, but it needed to be more pronounced and not look like an accident.

tinyspirals
05-31-2007, 11:58 AM
I&#39;m watching this episode now and I cringed watching this.

1. Why is that the woman with the coarser hair HAAAD to get a chemical fire cream?
2. Why was the challenge to straighten their hair???
3. Who made the guest the guru of Black hair???????

OMG, this show touched a bad nerve.
[/b]

Im agree. I think the challenge shouldve been to style the natural hair without straightening it. That would&#39;ve been a REAL challenge. They probably wouldve need more time though..hehe.

Majestic
05-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Go Anthony! Go Anthony! Go Anthony! Go Anthony! Go Anthony!

Jess Tresses
05-31-2007, 12:21 PM
I liked Tabatha ... :(

puchi
05-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Mannnn that sucks so much! I dont know how I missed this episode...

Soulsista934
05-31-2007, 08:08 PM
I like to watch this show but I havent watched any of the last shows since the one where they were in the mall doing people&#39;s hair so I cant comment on the challenge or Dr. Boogie. But it seems like the Dr. is gayer than gay and he said that he was straight! Right... :rolleyes:

Oh yea, my sis told me Anthony won. I liked him though he never had any styles that were my favorite or anything. I like Tabitha and Daisy the most out all of them

jweezy
05-31-2007, 11:38 PM
I saw Dr. Boogie in a Sophisticates Black Hair Magazine when he did LisaRaye&#39;s hair. I was thinking to myself :lol: what a funny name! I didn&#39;t like that Boogie relaxed that girl&#39;s hair either, but she could have refused it...I would have. He had a snobby attitude. It would have been nice if Anthony could have styled a model with locks since he has them himself. But I&#39;m glad he won, natural hair wins over relaxed hair ANYDAY--Boogie can take that!

poitreenmoshun
06-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I wonder how the hair model felt about her hair being processed? Poor woman... :(
[/b]

watch it again...if i&#39;m not mistaken, i&#39;m pretty sure that boogie said that the model said that she wanted it relaxed...carry on...

notroz2u
06-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Poor her nothing, she let them fire her hair, so she must have agreed to it. I mean just for her to even participate in a hair show, knowing that it was possiblity that her hair would be altered. If I was her I would have been like thanks but no thanks

Don&#39;t know why I didn&#39;t like Anthony but I just didn&#39;t.
I was cracking up win Boogie said he was straight, even Ray Charles could see that wasn&#39;t true. They showed a clip of a little white boy that is supposed to be his son. So I&#39;m guessing he adopted this child

taniseka
06-01-2007, 09:13 AM
I too was dissapointed <_< . They all had beautiful hair that could have been styled without straightening. I guess the positive side to it was that they actually styled a black person hair....dont see much of that done on these types of shows. The few times when they actually style black hair they always slap in bone straight sew-in weaves and dont even deal with our hair period.
[/b]

Well, if the only "styling" they&#39;re going to do to the black hair is to straighten it, then they might as well slap on a bone straight weave. At least the women could get the weave out at the end of the day, and still have their natural hair spared from chemicals.

As far as the models, I&#39;m sure they were all informed of what the challenge entailed beforehand. They all knew that there was a possibility a cfc would be used on their heads. I even wonder if the girl would said that she go her hair coloured the day before made it up so that they wouldn&#39;t put cfc in her head! lol. I don&#39;t blame her.

But talking about the nappy girl who got her hair r.elaxed by Boogie....what philosophy? Not everyone thinks the way we do on NP even though they are natural. I would be mad as ever if Boogie did that to me, but the girl made her choice.

Perfect_Imperfection
06-01-2007, 10:26 AM
I&#39;m not mad at the fact that chemicals or flat i.rons were used. It was just upseting at how a few of the contestants dealt with clients with natural hair. It is not professional to tell me I have hair like steel wool and you are making my job harder. This reminds me of when I got my hair done when I was about 12...it was about time of a CFC and my stylist was telling me I have that &#39;nigg@ sh*#&#39; when she proceeded to break one of her cheap rat tail combs in my hair. Anywho, overall, I feel that the challenge did suck but from the looks of it, none of them were aware of the versitility of natural hair...my stylist until 2005 didn&#39;t know you could even set natural hair...so it just goes to show you that some know more than others.

SouthernNYCgal
06-01-2007, 10:57 AM
One of the girls said she had just dyed her hair but I wonder if she just said it so that they couldn&#39;t give her a re.laxer :P
[/b]

You know I thought that too! I think she was lying....I would have said anything to eliminate the option of getting a chemical fire cream for a reality show too...lol

blkbuttaflies
06-01-2007, 08:45 PM
[/b]

I was too busy drooling over that sexy beautiful dark chocolate man, Anthony :wub: , to get pissed about the nature of that particular hair challenge. On another note, kudos to all the stylist that were reluctant to use chemicals on the hair because they deemed it to harsh and damaging . :yes:

Azwethinkweiz
06-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Look folks, let&#39;s face it...no stylist besides those specifically trained as natural hair specialists, know diddly squat about natural hair (unless they by chance happen to be nappy)!!!

...And that&#39;s just black people. What do you expect from some white people on TLC lol!!

OH yes and anthony and his accent is sexy as hell. :D

acnatural
06-02-2007, 05:53 AM

[/b]

Yeah, Nick has a track record of keeping a sister&#39;s hair natural (three to my knowledge): 1st the lady with the locs, the lady from Harlem and the lady who won the trip to Paris. Although the lady with the locs looked at him like "I dare you to touch my locs" but she was so releived when he stated that her hair was healthy and there was no need to do anything.

I&#39;m glad that there are some stylists attempting to learn how to style black hair in it&#39;s natural state without any chemicals or straightening tools.

I wonder if cosmotology schools will ever include training on styling black hair without chemicals, hot tools or weaves?

subbrock
06-02-2007, 08:43 AM
I wonder if cosmotology schools will ever include training on styling black hair without chemicals, hot tools or weaves?
[/b]

they dont even teach THAT much about black hair <_<

lsubabiedee
06-02-2007, 04:42 PM
yall do realize that the majority of black women do want their hair to be straight and swing and whatnot right?

Hadasah
06-02-2007, 04:45 PM
^ :o You serious?

maibaby
06-02-2007, 06:03 PM
This was sickening. I was just wondering what that sister was thinking. Did she grow her hair out just to let someone run a perm through it. I just did not get that. She had at least a year of good growth just gone just like that. I didn&#39;t get it.
[/b]

ITA! That&#39;s what I was thinking the whole time.

mahoganee
06-03-2007, 11:36 AM
I&#39;m not mad at the fact that chemicals or flat i.rons were used. It was just upseting at how a few of the contestants dealt with clients with natural hair. It is not professional to tell me I have hair like steel wool and you are making my job harder. This reminds me of when I got my hair done when I was about 12...it was about time of a CFC and my stylist was telling me I have that &#39;nigg@ sh*#&#39; when she proceeded to break one of her cheap rat tail combs in my hair[color=#6666CC]. Anywho, overall, I feel that the challenge did suck but from the looks of it, none of them were aware of the versitility of natural hair...my stylist until 2005 didn&#39;t know you could even set natural hair...so it just goes to show you that some know more than others.
[/b]
Okay, now that there irked the hell out of me. If we can take the time to learn how to care for our natural hair, why can&#39;t "stylists"?
I wanted to slap Dr Boogie&#39;s azz for those comments he made.

honeybunch2k5
06-03-2007, 11:45 AM
^ :o You serious?
[/b]
:lol:

:unsure: :ninj:

HallieD
06-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I just saw the episode this morning, and I was appalled at the assumption that any curly/nappy hair has to be straightened to be improved. The female AA stylist apparently pimped herself out for a couple of minutes of "fame" on a TV show. Sickening.

Iris74B
06-08-2007, 05:50 PM

[/b]

I love what he does! He knows how to do natural hair and always does a great job. He tried to covince this Black woman to let go of her bad weave and wear her hair as it is and she wasnt having it, so he very reluctantly cut the weave for her.

Everyone else with natural hair he did great. There was a Black woman who won a million dollar shopping trip to Paris who had a large &#39;fro and Nick shaped up her &#39;fro so nicely. Conditioned it well and everything.

If I had the money I would have Nick cut and style my hair.

Niya
06-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Well, she LET him put the re.laxer in, so...