Thread: Dry Nappy Hair!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, so i have seen others post about having dry hair and i have tried some of their methods of going about and making my hair...not so dry...but it doesn't seem to be working! everyday i wake up and my hair is really really dry even after a co wash and moisturizer afterward. could it be the Denver air...if any...or could it be the products i am using...? IDK...PLEASE HELP?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, what products are you using? Do you have some sort of routine?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, i currently do not have one.

TinaW is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, i currently do not have one.
    [/b]
    Thats probably why your hair is dry :unsure: I use Oyins greg juice on my hair then i seal it with a homemade mixture of whipped shea butter and coconut oil but what works for me may not work for you. Maybe a spray you make with water and essential oil sprayed liberally for the first few days and a few extra deep conditions are what you need to get some moisture back in your hair

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have extremely dry and porous hair that laps up moisture, lets it go just as quickly and laughs at those light-weight natural oils that are supposed to seal in moisture.

So a few days ago I asked Nappyme for advice on her Nappturology 101 blog. Here's an exerpt from her reply. "My staple is Pro Line Lite Creme Moisturizer. Also try any clear gel curl activator. They’re lite and won’t flake and moisturize well. Be very generous in your initial application; your hair will dry, but not feel dry. It should feel very soft supple and pliable. In the heat of the summer you should only have remoisturize maybe once every three days or so."

I haven't been to the store yet, but I'm hoping it this is the answer--maybe for both of us.

Meanwhile, I co-wash with a moisturizing conditioner almost daily & add a moisturizing cream mixed with aloe. I don't even expect the moisture to stay put, because it won't; so I keep a trial-size spray bottle in my purse to add moisture throughout the day. I've also found by accident that IC Fantasia alcohol-free gel is thick enough to seal in moisture, even though the gel dries a bit crunchy.

So I'm going to try Nappyme's advice, and I hope for moisture retention without the crunch. Happy hunting!

Syrel
    Syrel

Transitioned 6/28/08 - 4/27/09
    Unplanned Big Chop 4/27/09
    Enjoying the adventure!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a sprayed mist of water, followed by coconut oil keeps my hair soft and moisturized. and baggying at night... you wake up and hair is soft and manageable.
    Fotki a few new photos up.

<---my personal blog

visit my Award Winning nappy diva fiction blog, Life and Times of Ata Nafia.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a sprayed mist of water, followed by coconut oil keeps my hair soft and moisturized. and baggying at night... you wake up and hair is soft and manageable.
    [/b]
    Uhm.......coconut is a natural oil which she said does not work for her. Neither coconut nor any natural oil does anything for mine either.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;ve tried oils on my hair as well (jojoba, EVOO, coconut) and it didn&#39;t really do anything for me, but castor oil is a whole different story. It is a humectant so it attracts and keeps moisture in the hair and it has a consistency similar to honey (yet another good humectant).

I found that many of the commercial products that did work for me had castor oil as one the main ingredients. You might want to try this to seal you hair after your co-washes. Not to mention you can get it at any pharmacy of health food place for cheap.
    [color=#6600CC][b]9 years natural and still growing[/b][/color]
    New Goals: Stopping the multiple BCs and more protective styling for more retained length.

[url="http://public.fotki.com/sobecurl/"]http://public.fotki.com/sobecurl/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;ve tried oils on my hair as well (jojoba, EVOO, coconut) and it didn&#39;t really do anything for me, but castor oil is a whole different story. It is a humectant so it attracts and keeps moisture in the hair and it has a consistency similar to honey (yet another good humectant).

I found that many of the commercial products that did work for me had castor oil as one the main ingredients. You might want to try this to seal you hair after your co-washes. Not to mention you can get it at any pharmacy of health food place for cheap.
    [/b]

Yes, I was just getting ready to say the same thing. What works for me is castor oil or castor oil products and dare I say...old fashioned grease. Natural oils, especially in the winter, dried my hair out completely. So does water based moisturizers.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks everyone for your help...and the whole oil thing...doesn&#39;t really work for me either. i used olive oil, water, and a leave conditioner one night and the next day i woke up with very greasy feeling hair...not to mention when i went out in the heat it made my hair very crunchy...not to good. so i went to whole foods and picked up some Aubrey...LOVE IT! My hair is so soft now...my boyfriend cant keep his hands out of it.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast