Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default unmanageable hair

hey everyone, I'm transitioning to natural hair. i last relaxed my hair at the start of January 2016 and ever since I've had no problems with my hair while transitioning ,but now my natural hair has grown 2-3 inches I'm having trouble managing it. the front of my hair is 4a and its so soft and easy to manage but at the back (so like a bit above the middle and downwards) and the sides are so hard and dry, they don't stay moisturized and are hard to comb (i can even finger detangle) it doesn't even have a curl pattern (but i do have a lot of different hair type strands in my hair) plus it clumps together and i don't mean the cute hairstyle clump, i mean the hair sticks together and muddles. just so you know my hair has been like this even while i was fully relaxed (but only in later years) ,the front was soft and the back was harder to comb(because i never liked to comb the back) but at least it was more manageable. anyway i could really use some help with this issue i cant even tie up my hair without it bulking out. sorry if it sounds like im rant or being ungrateful.

thanks for the help unmanageable

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: unmanageable hair

Hi mellifluous (great name BTW)...welcome to NP.

Unfortunately I can't be of much help since I transitioned a total of 7 weeks but for what it's worth: It sounds like your transition is going as expected.

Transitioning not only involves the actual transition of your hair texture, but also the transition of your thinking regarding what's "manageable." The more new growth you have, the more it's going to "bulk out" and behave like its natural Afro-textured self. The sooner you start treating your hair like Afro-textured hair, the easier your transition will be. Put another way: You're going to have to make friends with the back of your head.

Check out the Transitioners Discussion subforum for more information. Good luck...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The transition area is the best place to learn about what to do while transitioning. That said, transitioning is an up and down process. While you are learning about your hair, it is changing. One week it may be one way and the next week another way. Some of this is because it is growing into healthy hair, some of it is because you are treating it differently - using different products etc. My hair went through a phase that some members of Nappturality invented the term "scab hair" for. Do a search for it and you may find this is your problem.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the help

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after doing some research i realized i do have scab hair

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi! I transitioned in 2013, and I basically just left my hair alone in the beginning. I wore a headband most of the time and eventually worked my hair back into a puff as it grew. For day to day maintenance, I applied curling products to my hair and kind of had the "wash and go" approach. One change I would make here is to use natural products, like oil and water mixes instead.

As for tying up your hair, I wouldn't advise trying to use a regular hair tie. You are better off using a long but thin scarf and making your own custom hair tie. This way, you won't have to put a lot of tension on your hair.

I would also advise you to get rid of the comb, only finger detangle because you will end up breaking your hair off in really weird and random places. Lastly, try not to perceive your hair as dry because it only seems dry in comparison to how your relaxed hair looked. My mom constantly says my hair looks dry, but when I touch it, it's actually very soft! So, I think she doesn't get that my hair is not supposed to look "shiny".

Once it grew out into puff length, I experimented with two strand twists, and I LOVED that style. Through all of this, I learned that I really do not have the patience to constantly manipulate my hair to look a certain way as a natural. I love my hair best when it is left alone. For this reason, I have decided to loc my hair from the two strand twists. However, I only came to this conclusion through experiencing my natural hair every step of the way. I wish you the best of luck on your natural hair journey!

7. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post