Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had SL (sisterlocks) for a little over a year and half. Always moisturize my hair, greasing the scalp and spritzing with product. My locks are hard and dry, I would like for them to be softer without the build-up on the scalp.

After reading some of the no-oil, no-product notions I'm gonna give it a try. I will mist my hair with water daily for a week and see if this helps any. Though I do not wash my hair weekly. I wash my hair less frequently than most mentioned. I think I will wash my hair to get the product off my scalp and start the no-product regimen.

Is anyone wrapping their hair in a scarf at night?
    Is frequent (weekly) washing necessary?

Also, I want to think everyone that provided styling tips but open for more.

ointlaugh: divawcs :hug:

Niya is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about you stop greasing your scalp?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tie my hair up with a satin scarf at night. I also wash my hair every 2 weeks now. I think how often you wash is a personal thing. Some people need to wash weekly, some don't.

We have all established that our hair is different....At the end of the day we pride ourselves as being NAPPY! [b]Let this quest for right and wrong go[/b] - RoseBurnt

[url="http://public.fotki.com/melanizm13"]UPDATES[/url]...12/08

Llyons Guest

I wrap my hair at night w/ a silk scarf. I wash weekly. I only use natural oils or Olive oil and spritz about 2x's per week.

I try to keep it simple.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how bout you chill on the greasing, clarify (with baking soda, acv rinse, or commercial clarifying shampoo), and put a lil oil in that spray bottle?

i would try those things before moving to absolutely nothing. i don't use products in my hair except for shampoo, conditioner, oil (coconut, castor, or walnut/avocado on damp hair), and my spritz with spring water, essential oils, and walnut/avocado oil.

perhaps you should also consider switching shampoos. what do you currently use? how bout a moisturizing shampoo?

have you spoken to your consultant (if you have one) about the dryness and hardness of your locks?
    http://public.fotki.com/londylocks --updated August 2010
    pw: strange fruit

follow me twitter: http://twitter.com/londyjamel
    check out my music: http://music.jdgreensoul.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was fearful that if I did stop greasing my scalp I would get dandruff. But it seems to be doing ok for now. I just don't want it to be itchy and tight.

divawcs <_<

Originally posted by Niya@Aug 9 2005, 08:24 PM
    How about you stop greasing your scalp?
    [snapback]955596[/snapback]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point about not going cold turkey on the moisturizing. I now have a spray bottle after reading everyone&#39;s posting. Just started this today. I use tea tree shampoo on my hair and sulfur 8 on my scalp. I&#39;m working towards not using sulfur 8 but love the tea tree shampoo, it&#39;s works wonders. I spoke to my consultant about the dryness ad hardness, she said it might be the medication I&#39;m on.

divawcs

Originally posted by sonshinescoils@Aug 9 2005, 10:16 PM
    how bout you chill on the greasing, clarify (with baking soda, acv rinse, or commercial clarifying shampoo), and put a lil oil in that spray bottle?

i would try those things before moving to absolutely nothing. i don&#39;t use products in my hair except for shampoo, conditioner, oil (coconut, castor, or walnut/avocado on damp hair), and my spritz with spring water, essential oils, and walnut/avocado oil.

perhaps you should also consider switching shampoos. what do you currently use? how bout a moisturizing shampoo?

have you spoken to your consultant (if you have one) about the dryness and hardness of your locks?
    [snapback]955745[/snapback]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wash once a week and rinse daily in the mornings. Sometimes I put a smidgen (about nickel size) of jojoba or sweet almond oil on after rinsing. Other times I just whip off the towel and go. I have a spritz bottle with water, a little eo and jojoba/almond oils. I use this sometimes in the evenings on the days that I don&#39;t use oil. My locs are very soft with a nice sheen

I go through phases of wrapping and not wrapping my locs at night. I always sleep on a satin pillowcase so it really doesn&#39;t make a difference. Sometimes my locs get on my nerves because they seem to love my face so I wrap &#39;em up on those occasions.

Maybe you should use less product and rinse a little more.

Just a thought :dunno:
    7 year locs, relaxing and enjoying life

album pw: gummy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sulphur 8 is grease, containing petroleum and mineral oil. these ingredients are notorious for leading to sludge and gunk on the scalp and in the hair. not to mention, they clog the pores.
    http://public.fotki.com/londylocks --updated August 2010
    pw: strange fruit

follow me twitter: http://twitter.com/londyjamel
    check out my music: http://music.jdgreensoul.com

10. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with everybody else; but just wanted to add that Sulfur 8 also comes in a spray bottle that is formulated for itchy scalp, that doesn&#39;t contain petroleum and mineral oil--give it a try.

12. Likes deecoily liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast