Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hum... maybe it is different from person to person, but it seems to me that my nails grow fairly well but since I use my hands to do so much and they get drier more quickly than my hair does, I think that is why my nails break quicker.

Kaoticcoil
    [b]To Be Blessed, You must be A Blessing[/b]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by bluvember@Mar 28 2004, 07:10 PM
    ...SILICA GEL... I thought that was the stuff that's always in your shoe box with a warning on the little pack saying DO NOT EAT :shocked . Is it the same or is there a diff one thats safe to injest?
    fftopic The one that's natural and safe to injest is also called horsetail extract. Horsetail is a plant. I used to take one a day and it did make a substantial difference in the strength of my nails and hair. It's also said to be good for the skin as well.

The one in the shoebox is something different that's used for a number of things in the form of a preservative. I'm not sure why it's always in a shoebox or how it preserves the shoe/leather, but I do know that it can be used in the preservation of flowers. The flowers retain the same shape and color as when they're fresh and they should last forever if taken care of properly. The silica sucks the moisture out of the flower leaving the petals and leaves more paper like, but not dry and brittle like a dried flower might be.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice my hair grows much faster than my nails. The only time I notice my nails growing is when I was pregnant and later on taking calcium supplements. I am always at awe with women who are blessed with fast growing nails. :-) I hate acrylic nails and stopped wearing them years ago.
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

4. Likes cutenappygrl liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nails grow like weeds, always have. Hair has always been slower growth. No correlation for me.

(I thought I remembered this thread...what brought this back from the WayBack Machine? Lol)
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think anyone's nails are 6 inches long at the end of the year, but maybe I'm just not informed? If you really want to measure your hair growth, just get a regular tape measure and stretch it out! Or, dye a bit somewhere and measure the re-growth. Eventually though (after spending ages stressing about it) I think a lot of us find that knowing exactly how much our hair grows per month doesn't really do anything other than add the pressure of "I lost half an inch!" or "six months until I hit my goal- but only if my routine is perfect!"
    Almost 3 years natural!? Already :D
    My natural hair Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Tellitv8/about/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TellyTV8

7. Thanks amourese thanked for this post
    Likes Sohful1 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My nails grow like a BEAST regardless of what diet I currently have or if I took biotin that month. My hair on the other hand....snail's pace, but i hope in a few years it'll be WL. If my hair grew like my nails, my hair would be on the floor right now.

Real talk, I just trimmed my nails four days ago, they are already needing trimming again! My fin and toe nails REFUSE to stay short. I actually envy people that say their nails never grow...I would love to go months at a time without trimming.
    By NP member Vavoon. This is me 24/7/365 lol

9. Likes Soul Rebel liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurliez View Post
    My nails grow like a BEAST regardless of what diet I currently have or if I took biotin that month. My hair on the other hand....snail's pace, but i hope in a few years it'll be WL. If my hair grew like my nails, my hair would be on the floor right now.

Real talk, I just trimmed my nails four days ago, they are already needing trimming again! My fin and toe nails REFUSE to stay short. I actually envy people that say their nails never grow...I would love to go months at a time without trimming.
    Girl, yes, me too. I was just looking at my nails a little while ago thinking "Didn't I just cut these things?!"

I'm usually good for about four days before they start vexing me. That's about the time I start seeing dirt under my nails. No ma'am.

Hair grows slower than the nails for me, but it grows fine enough, so. *shrugs*
    Last edited by dayna; 08-29-2013 at 07:06 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

11. Likes Kurliez liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurliez View Post

Ditto. I am currently taking biotin supps (doctors recommendation for hair loss) every other day and my nail are growing like crazy! My nails always grows fast but with biotin forget about it! My hair shows a little progress but not so much. I wish my hair grew like my nails. If I did I would have ankle length hair lol
    Yet another natural hair journey...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shell98/

13. Likes Kurliez liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shell98 View Post
    Ditto. I am currently taking biotin supps (doctors recommendation for hair loss) every other day and my nail are growing like crazy!
    I've been taking biotin as well, for the last month. I will say that the spaciness I'd had in my crown has all but disappeared. It even feels a bit thicker and stronger. I've noticed new growth in areas I'd given up hoping I'd see new hair.

15. Likes Kurliez liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny this thread should come up...I've always suspected there was a correlation in HEALTH between my nails and my hair. My nails have always grown pretty fast and I've noticed since I've been wearing low-manipulation styles that the growth of my hair is similarly fast; I just never saw the length since I was always messing with it.

However, in the last couple of months my nails have begun to peel, and my two index fingernails are weaker than usual. Not only are they growing very slowly, they are breaking off much more quickly. Similarly, when I do the strand test, my hair isn't snapping as loudly as it used to. I'm blaming it on my diet; apparently I'm not getting nearly as much quality protein as I should be getting. And iron deficiency is just a thing with me, it seems. (Perimenopause = no period for three months, followed by a period lasting two weeks and counting...)

Like you, OHR, I've had a few thin spots for a while now. I may consider trying biotin supplements myself.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast